Mobile advertising

Mobile advertising remains an untapped advertising frontier according to emarketer’s recent report. While online video, podcasts and subscription radio continue to gain audience interest, the handset with its limitless possibilities represents a marketing challenge. Travel marketers, for instance can benefit in many ways from mobile advertising – from banners pointing customers to the nearest hotel/destination to travel offers/reminders for frequent guests. However, e-marketer’s report notes that 90% of consumers in a Harris Interactive poll were not interested in receiving offers on their cellphones. The remaining 10% was open to the idea of being paid (cash or freebies) to receive advertising offers.

As the handset continues its evolution into a feature-packed, multimedia gizmo with attitude and image, perhaps the day is not far when the cellphone will become everyone’s preferred way to connect, be entertained and be marketed to! Currently, majority of US customers still use their cellphones in a functional way and it understandably remains their last bastion of privacy! Needed – an ipodization of mobile consumer engagement!

Published by

Vijay Dandapani

Co-founder and president of a New York based hotel company for 24 years. Grew the firm to five hotels in Manhattan and also developed a greenfield project at MacArthur airport, New York. Speaker at numerous prestigious forums including Economy Hotels World Asia, Lodging Conference, NYU, Columbia University Real Estate Roundtable, Baruch College's Zicklin School and ALIS. President and ceo of New York City Hotel Association since January 2017.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *