As cash registers across the country start ringing louder and faster with the unofficial start of holiday shopping, e-marketer provides an interesting snapshot of holiday #s. The good news – holiday shopping is expected to increase 18% over last year to $32 bln. Jupiter Research estimates that a mindblowing 114 mln folks will buy online this year. Traditional items like toys, electronics, clothing and fragrances are expected hot favorites (last year was clearly the reign of Gen Y’s favorite accessory – the ipod and its family of fashionable, high-tech musical masterpieces).
How does the travel industry tap the holiday fever?
– Winter vacation packages to popular US cities
– Ski holiday packages for the sports-enthusiast, outdoor-loving types
– Pamper yourself spa vacations for her and him
– Family-friendly-packages with hottest holiday attractions – e.g Radio city Christmas Spectacular
– Gift cards for the frequent business traveler (at their preferred hotels)
– Travel kits/techno-gear for road warriors and mobile professionals
Working while on a vacation is the hottest trend in workaholic America! Hotels can tap the new mobile workforce with business traveler geared packages that guarantee Internet access and productivity to the Blackberry-loving legions.